Dr. Sawyer Serving with Samaritan's Purse

Dr. Sawyer Serving with Samaritan's Purse
Papua New Guinea

Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Simple Things...

I apologize for those who are waiting for me to post something from Kenya, but the internet issues have not been easy to overcome.

Our daughters, Anna and Amber, have been working on their knitting hobby, and this morning Amber brought this newly made hat and asked me to take it to the NICU and put in on a baby.  I walked into the NICU and the first baby on the left inside the door looked like the perfect candidate.  Amber was so proud of herself when I returned home to show her the picture, and I must admit I was a pretty proud father, knowing the love and concern that Amber had put into making this tiny hat for this tiny baby.

If I had to choose one word to choose to describe the work here it would be OVERWHELMING.  Just today I was dealing with patients with cervical cancer, uterine cancer, HIV, tuberculosis, cryptococcal meningitis, herpes, rheumatic heart disease, puerpural sepsis, malaria, infertility...and the list goes on.  The staff and students here at Tenwek Hospital are amazing and helpful.  I am working with two medical students and two PA students and one equivalent of a resident physician.  Plus this week and the week after next I am working with one of the World Medical Mission post-residency ob/gyn physicians, Dr. Rebecca Ross, who is here for two years.  Next week she is taking the week off, since I am here, and I am eager to give her a break.

This place is a kid haven.  Teresa has been busy making cookies and attracting all of the missionary kids to our house.  Anna and Amber have loved making new friends.  Today Teresa and the girls went to a Kenyan primary school for the afternoon.  They had a great time playing with the kids and interacting with them.

I promise to write more later!

Allan for the rest of the Sawyer Family

No comments:

Post a Comment