Dr. Sawyer Serving with Samaritan's Purse

Dr. Sawyer Serving with Samaritan's Purse
Papua New Guinea

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Eight pound tumor...

The needs here in Papua New Guinea are overwhelming at times.  This morning I removed an 8 pound tumor from this lovely 17 year old girl.  She had shared with me the day before the surgery that she regularly went to church, but had never trusted God with her life before.  This morning, in the pre-op area, the operating room staff met with her and prayed with her and she committed her life to God.

The amount of disease here, and the advanced state of disease, can be a bit overwhelming.  One of my primary areas of focus at the hospital this time is to teach a PNG physician-in-training (called a registrar) as much as I can.  Her name is Imelda, and she goes by the name, "Dr. Mel."  I have been making rounds with her and she has been assisting me in surgery.

We will be leaving for the Hewa Tribe in the Enga province one week from today  This Sunday we will be meeting with the team and plotting out our schedule for teaching Village Childbirth Attendant (VCA) class, running a small medical clinic, and doing dental extractions.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. Is that a dermoid, by chance?
    Praising God for His work in her life!
    ~Janet Walworth

    ReplyDelete